Calzone Recipe for Family Dinner Day
Sep 22, 2010Are you looking for a recipe for your Family Dinner Day on Monday, Sept. 27? Look no further, as we have a recipe guaranteed to get your family off the couch and into the kitchen for some pre-dinner fun!
While you're making these, or later as you're enjoying them, take a photo and email it to email@example.com to enter our Family Dinner Day 2010 Photo Contest. Photos will be posted in our Facebook photo album of the same name, and the winnder will receive 2 books. For complete rules and the album, click here.
Also, click here for our Top 10 Family Dinner Conversation Starters to use during your Family Dinner Sept. 27.
Statistics show that children who regularly eat dinner with their families are less likely to smoke, drink or abuse drugs. (http://casafamilyday.org/familyday/)
Ingredients for the dough:
Ingredients to fill calzones:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Stir 1/3 cup warm water, yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar together in small bowl. Set aside to let it work; should begin bubbling fairly quickly, and look like it is growing in size.
- In a separate, large bowl, stir remaining dry ingredients together.
- Mix in remaining warm water and yeast mixture. If dough looks too dry, you may need to add a little more warm water. If dough looks too wet or sticky, you may need to mix in a little more bread flour.
- Cover bowl and set aside to let rise for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- After dough has risen, separate into 4 equal pieces and place on a floured surface (use bread flour).
- Call your family into the kitchen for calzone-making fun.
- Flatten and roll each into a circle, about 6 inches.
- Place fillings of your choice onto one side of the dough circle.
- Fold other side over fillings and pinch sides to seal.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- You may want to brush the top of calzones with egg wash to encourage browning.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Serve with warmed pizza or marinara sauce for dipping.